Sunday, September 12, 2010

J.E.'s Monkey Birthday Bash!!

I have lots to share with you today! Whitey, J.E.'s mom, called me a few months ago to place an order for J.E.'s BIG first birthday. She sent me the invitation (loved it!!) and asked me to base everything on the invite. Here's the invite from http://www.polkadotdesign.com/






Here is the cake for J.E. to eventually smash...it is covered in buttercream and the monkey, stripes and bananas are all fondant. We decided on buttercream so it would be easier for J.E. to smash it.








Whitney also wanted 30 chocolate cupcakes with monkey heads on top. Here is the big army of monkeys:





To go with the whole monkey theme, I made little bananas out of fondant to top another 30 cupcakes. I painted them with brown food coloring to make them look more realistic.



And last but not least, here are some banana-shaped sugar cookies! I have never had an order of cookies before and I really enjoyed making them. I iced them with royal icing so they would harden and I could paint the brown spots on them. They turned out yummy and I had some leftovers for Dave to snack on :)



8 comments:

  1. oh my goodness Tricia!!! i am SO impressed! i have dreams of making beautiful cakes. i watch all the cake decorating shows on Food Network and all the cake challenges. :) love that stuff!!! you are really talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth!! Let me know if you ever need any help. I am so sad cause I don't get to watch the cake shows...we don't have cable :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. tricia... it all looks amazing! the bananas look awesome and real with your painted brown food coloring! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, tricia! the bananas on the cupcakes are my favorite! i can't believe how real they look. i'm impressed with each new design and decoration you make. btw, missed you while i was in town. i hope to have another chance to see when i'm nearby again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. tricia, you can come over and watch cable at our house ANYTIME:) or we could record it for you b/c we still use VCR's over here. i LOVE them...you did awesome once again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can attest to the deliciousness of those cookies... I also got to snack on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOSH!! I mean I have always been super impressed by your talent, dating back to our stationary days, but I think this one "takes the cake"!! Those bananas look so real. I am so proud of you!!!
    And wish I had been there to snack on those cookies... are they healthier because they are "bananas"???

    ReplyDelete